Adeleke Withdraws EFCC Suit, Says Tinubu’s Intervention Settled Matter

Adeleke Withdraws EFCC Suit, Says Tinubu’s Intervention Settled Matter

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has directed the state Attorney-General to withdraw the suit filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the freezing of the state government’s account, following an intervention by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Adeleke disclosed this on Sunday during an interview with Channels Television, shortly after he was declared the winner of the Osun State governorship election.

Tinubu Intervenes

The governor said President Tinubu personally contacted him over the matter, prompting him to reconsider the legal action against the anti-graft agency.

Adeleke said he had subsequently instructed the state Attorney-General to discontinue the case.

“What else do I want? I’ve instructed my Attorney General to drop it. Mr President has done well; he called me. What more do I want?” Adeleke said.

EFCC Froze Osun Account

The EFCC had placed a Post No Debit restriction on a state government account as part of an investigation into the alleged mismanagement of about N11bn in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee.

The commission had said the restriction followed what it described as the “precipitate and unwarranted movement of funds” from the account to various corporate entities.

Adeleke had initially rejected the EFCC’s action and directed the state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice to challenge the restriction in court, describing it as illegal and politically motivated.

Adeleke Defends His Aides

Speaking about some of his aides who were reportedly invited by the EFCC, Adeleke said his lawyers were engaging with the commission.

He particularly questioned the invitation extended to his spokesperson, arguing that the spokesperson was not responsible for financial management.

“Can you imagine my spokesperson? You are inviting my spokesperson to EFCC. Is my spokesperson a finance minister or accountant? So I told him, ‘Go,’” he said.

The governor, however, said his aides honoured the invitations because they had nothing to hide.

Governor Rules Out APC Return

Adeleke also dismissed speculation that he might return to the All Progressives Congress despite his renewed support for President Tinubu ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

Asked whether he was considering returning to the APC, the governor said: “As I’m talking to you right now, I’m not even thinking about that.”

He, however, maintained that his party affiliation would not stop him from supporting Tinubu.

“So, but that doesn’t mean that I cannot say support… Mr President,” Adeleke said.

Adeleke Wins Second Term

Adeleke’s comments came after he defeated the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, in Saturday’s governorship election to secure a second term in office.

According to the results announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission, Adeleke polled 511,067 votes, while Oyebamiji recorded 444,815 votes.

The governor had previously contested elections under the APC before moving to the Peoples Democratic Party and later the Accord Party.

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *